Hillsboro Downtown Partnership (HDP) seeks a Beautification Specialist who will use their learned talents and good judgement to create a healthy Downtown greenspace and a tidy environment for visitors. The person selected to fill this position will take pride in the routine work that they complete while implementing Downtown Hillsboro’s beautification initiatives and tidiness programs. This entry level position is situated at the intersection of customer service and groundskeeping.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the primary responsibilities of the position such as those listed below.
- Entry level knowledge of safe operation and maintenance of lawn and garden equipment and tools.
- Entry level knowledge of general plant health and maintenance requirements.
- Entry level knowledge of general landscaping maintenance practices.
- Entry level knowledge of hardscape maintenance practices and materials required to make repairs.
- Ability to operate small landscape equipment, and tools safely and appropriately.
- Ability to communicate in English effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret procedures, policies, and regulations accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with individuals and groups who come from diverse backgrounds and represent members of the public, coworkers, and/or vendors.
- Ability to direct community labor or volunteers during maintenance activities.
- Two (2) or more years of experience in landscape maintenance, parks maintenance, or related fields.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and other common business software.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about non-profit organization operations.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about the Main Street Approach.
- Knowledge of fertilizer and pesticide handling, mixing, equipment calibration, and usage.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems operation, maintenance, improvements, and repair; and skills to operate, maintain, improve, and repair irrigation systems.
- Partner with others within the organization to support projects and programming.
- Directs the work of beautification volunteers.
- Maintains greenscape features: pruning, trimming, mowing, weeding, and planting.
- Maintains hardscape features: cleaning, pressure washing, litter collection, blowing, and painting.
- Operates light equipment: hand tools, mower, weed trimmer, chainsaw, air compressor, spray equipment, and small power tools.
- Applies fertilizers and pesticides at scheduled intervals under the supervision of a licensed applicator.
- Maintains and safeguards all HDP tools and maintenance equipment.
- Ensures a safe environment for employees and the general public.
- Performs consistent and timely work.
- Reports on and evaluates beautification program effectiveness and makes recommendations to improve service.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Enthusiasm for Downtown Hillsboro and community development.
- Team player with attention to detail yet able to work independently.
- High degree of professional customer service.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organized; follows through to meet commitments and deadlines.
- Significant physical activity including walking up to four miles per day and lifting heavy objects.
- Occasional night, weekend, and holiday work.
- Occasional travel and off-site work for meetings and other HDP activities.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: This position receives direct supervision from the HDP Executive Director.
SUPERVISION EXCERCISED: This position may exercise lead direction over volunteers.
HOURS: Temporary through December 31, 2020; part time, 15 to 25 hours per week/flexible schedule; potential to extend or increase hours based on funding.
PAY: Range between minimum wage and $18 per hour, commensurate with experience. We are an equal opportunity employer.
BENEFITS: Accrued sick leave – one hour for every 30 hours worked. PTO – one hour for every 12 hours worked.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a letter of interest and resume (or equivalent) to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.