If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, we need you!
Someone pointed out to us recently that Downtown Hillsboro is an arboretum (def. a botanical garden devoted to trees.) We have never had a wealthy donor donate land to plant trees on, but generations of residents have planted them for us – in their yards, on church grounds, and as street trees. And we would love your help to highlight this asset in our community for education, preservation, and even tourism.
- Update the City’s inventory of street trees.
- Nominate trees (individual or groves) to be on the Oregon Heritage Tree list or the City’s Cultural Resource Heritage list.
- Create an interactive map that our community can use to take themselves on self-guided walking tours to visit our most notable trees.
- Create education activities for all ages that showcase our trees.
- Help organize the planting of more street trees (and for that matter yard trees) in Downtown.
- Expert and novice naturalists/gardeners who have a working knowledge of tree identification or are eager to learn.
- GIS or tech minded people who have experience creating maps.
- Community members who have interesting trees on their property who want to be included.
- Graphic artists who would like to contribute to the map interface and graphic elements.
- Expert and novice historians who can give context to the trees that are selected.
We will be hosting our inagural Tree Team meeting in mid June. If you are interested in contributing to the project in any way, or just want to learn more about it, please email email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!