Promoting Your Downtown Event
Promoting Your Downtown Event
Unless you have already built a significant customer list, it’s sometimes a challenge to get the word out about your events or activity. Here are some channels that will help you reach new audiences already connected to Downtown or with regional connections.
DOWNTOWN HILLSBORO MOBILE APP
We will post Downtown Hillsboro events, programs, classes, or fun activities to this calendar. Here are the parameters:
- Community events
- Individual business events (includes demonstrations, entertainment, and participation activities; excludes sale-only events)
- Collaborative business events
- Non-profit events (includes entertainment performances, fundraisers, and friendraisers; excludes religious and political events)
- Programs (includes education, informational classes, workshops, and trainings; excludes religious and political programs, as well as private or by-invitation-only programs)
Submit using this form. We recommend you submit your event at least one month in advance. Please allow at least one week (7 days) for submissions to be visible on the calendar.
Posting your event on Facebook reaches not only your followers, but also other people searching for local events. Boosting (paying for advertising) on Facebook is affordable too and allows you to narrow the audience to fit you target demographics.
If your event is in collaboration with others, invite them to be cohosts. Just remember that cohosts have the same admin accessibility to make changes to the event. Feel free to reach out to HDP if you would like to add us as a cohost to expand your exposure to a broader audience. This may be a good option if your event is a community event or a collaborative event between businesses happening in Downtown.
There is a very active Facebook group named: Hillsboro Downtown Group. Check out the group parameters pinned to the top by the Admin, request to join the group, and submit your event for posting if it fits the parameters.
OTHER REGIONAL CALENDARS
- Tualatin Valley Creates – Arts and culture events, programs, and classes. Washington County.
- PDX Parent – Family-friendly events and programs for kids. Portland Metro region.
- PDX Pipeline – Adult geared events, often on the edgier side. Portland Metro region.
- Pamplin Media (Hillsboro Forest Grove News-Times) – Includes lots of categories, many of which have a price involved to be listed.
POSTERS & FLYERS
Some Downtown businesses have the capacity to hang posters for the public or their employees and/or handout flyers. We don’t have a detailed list of these, because each business has their own best practices that they have determined for various reasons. We encourage you to walk around, ask them individually, and be respectful if they turn you down. Here are some tips:
- Posters: Window and bulletin board space is often limited and in high demand, so we recommend creating posters that are 8.5×11” to be respectful of this limitation. Keep posters simple (name, date, time, website, location) and colorful to attract attention.
- Flyers: Counter/shelf space is also in high demand, so 3-up (a landscape layout 11×8.5” sheet cut vertically into three sheets) or 1/4 sheet pages are easier for businesses to put out and make it more likely that folks will take them home. Also, a simple image and the basics (name, date, time, location) on the front of the flyer, leaves the back side available for details.
These are the recommended distribution schedule for the material and the sharing of the event on social media.
- 3 months before – Overview or invitation to participate emailed out to all businesses and/or shared with HDP so we can help distribute it electronically and in print to let them know of the activity and make sure they have it on their calendars.
- 2 months before – Promo Kit to all businesses with details in include marketing communications.
- 1 month before – Hand deliver printed promotional materials (i.e. posters and flyers)
- 2 weeks before – Email a reminder with links to all previously distributed information.
If you would like additional support for your Downtown event, we encourage you to inquire as to the level of support HDP can offer. Sometimes we can connect you with other community members who are looking for ways to be involved or provide you staff and even financial support. Please use this idea submission form to make your request official.
If you have any online marketing tips that you’d like to share with the other Downtown Hillsboro businesses, please send them our way by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.