Welcome Desk Volunteer
Does meeting interesting people and helping connect them to or find resources in our community sound like an ideal position for you? The Welcome Desk Assistant volunteer position is centered around providing customer service to visitors of the Downtown Hive. The Welcome Desk Assistant is responsible for welcoming guests, answering questions, and contacting staff as necessary, processing purchases, and minor administrative tasks. Welcome Desk Assistants that show interest and ability may be given more complex tasks.
REPORTS TO: Organization Coordinator and/or scheduled staff
AGE REQUIREMENTS: Must be 16 years or older
TIME COMMITMENT: 2-12 hours a week for a minimum of six months; flexible schedule.
OFFICE LOCATION: 233 SE Washington Street, Hillsboro, Oregon 97123.
HDP VOLUNTEER PHILOSOPHY: Volunteers are an essential component of HDP. With our limited budget for paid employees, there would be a threshold to the amount we could accomplish, but with volunteers there is no limit. This program attracts a diverse group of volunteers, matches them up with roles that fits their skills and interests best, and supports them throughout their service to HDP and our community.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Our office is called the Downtown Hive and is managed by the Hillsboro Downtown Partnership. It is a large building that houses the Hillsboro Downtown Partnership, Hillsboro Library Friends, Hillsboro Tuesday Night Market, Hillsboro Farmers Markets, Roland Salas Photography ,and My Father. Communal meeting spaces may be used by other agencies outside of those listed above.
- Opportunities to build your resume and earn outstanding references including letters of recommendation
- Opportunities to learn about the Hillsboro Cultural Arts District, Historic Downtown Hillsboro, Hillsboro’s 10th Avenue developments, future paid position opportunities, programming and events.
- Opportunities to work with staff who have years of experience working with small businesses and nonprofits that serve Downtown Hillsboro and beyond
- Obtain experience interacting with Downtown Hillsboro patrons of all interest levels, backgrounds, ethnicities, ages and education levels, as a representative of the Hillsboro Downtown Partnership.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES (includes, but not limited to, the following):
- Provide customer assistance and district information to patrons.
- Assist staff with copying, filing, answering the phone, assembling program materials, mailers, data entry, organizing and other basic office tasks.
- Process payments, returns, and exchanges for items being sold by Hillsboro Library Friends and by Hillsboro Downtown Partnership.
- Assist Downtown Hive staff with publicity and outreach for district programs and events.
- Keep Downtown Hive staff informed of unusual situations, safety concerns, and other issues that may arise.
- Record volunteer hours.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Must be reliable, dependable, confident when speaking to strangers and able to adapt to changes in schedules and situations.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office suite, work independently and follow instructions.
- Must possess good communication skills and be a team player.
- Attend all required trainings and meetings.
- A willingness to learn about the Hillsboro Cultural Arts District, Historic Downtown Hillsboro, and Hillsboro’s 10th Avenue developments.
- Each volunteer is expected to perform tasks that are within their physical capability.
- Each volunteer should understand that as a volunteer they are a representative of the Hillsboro Downtown Partnership and should act in a manner that promotes Downtown Hillsboro in a positive manner.
- Each volunteer will receive evaluations from their supervisor, as needed.
- Each volunteer is expected to be timely and available to attend scheduled shifts. If a volunteer is unable to attend their scheduled shift, they need to contact their staff supervisor directly via phone. Do not text or email any schedule changes.
- Each volunteer will receive ongoing feedback from their supervisor on how to improve their techniques. A formal evaluation may take place at the end of the volunteer commitment.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check is required for this position if the applicant is 18 years or older.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Duties are performed in an indoor office setting. Sometimes the office is busy with people and movement and other times, it is quiet and slow. The flow of work and nature of duties involve mental and visual attention for much or all of the time. Manual dexterity and coordination are required, making up more than 50% of the work period. Position is typically exposed to fluorescent lights and the public. Position requires long periods of sitting; may also require standing and walking, repetitive foot, arm, shoulder, hand and back movements, crouching, bending, kneeling or reaching. If you have been advised to limit any of these movements, Hillsboro Downtown Partnership will happily modify your duties.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact [email protected] or call 503-640-6145.